Messages to the Future
- To actually provide a function for the spiral length as a function of both the radius and theta instead of giving an approximation.
--Chris 15:26, 22 July 2013 (EDT)This will require use of polar coordinate functions, which the girls probably did not know.
- To augment the why it's interesting section. Here are some good examples:
--Chris 12:49, 25 July 2013 (EDT)Good resource.
References and footnotes
- Most if not all images were created in Sketchpad from the group themselves.
- I don't quite know where they got the main image from.
- Reference section says that the group made the images.
--Chris 15:26, 22 July 2013 (EDT)As far as I know, the girls made all of the images.
- Why it's interesting section (just added) states that these spirals occur in real life and links to two pages which contain images and explain the emergence of spirals in nature.
--Chris 15:26, 22 July 2013 (EDT)This needs more than two sentences. There needs to be at least some references to and possibly pictures of animals that grow in spiral shapes and an explanation of why this shape works for them.
--Done.Jason 16:53, 24 July 2013 (EDT)
--Chris 12:49, 25 July 2013 (EDT)The first picture you chose is not an obvious spiral. There are much clearer examples. Get at least one each from the animal, vegetable, and "mineral" (inorganic) worlds. Also, the link you gave above talks about not only how spirals not only occur in nature but at least two other elements about spirals that are important to include in the "Why is this interesting" section.
Quality of prose and page structuring
- Each section is introduced by a sentence.
- The purpose of each section is clearly relevant to the purpose of the page as a whole.
- The purpose and thesis of each section is introduced as close to the beginning of the page as possible.
Integration of Images and Text
- There are plenty of images all throughout that supplement the material presented in the page.
- The text points to what pictures to look at, although it may need specific labeling.
Connections to Other Mathematical Topics
- Relates the page to the Fibonacci sequence and directly links to a helper page.
Examples, Calculations, Applications, Proofs
- Derivations of equations/approximations and examples are provided.
- Applications toward different degree rotations/ratios
Mathematical Accuracy and Precision of Language
- Statements are made as precisely as they can be without overwhelming the reader with too many words or dense symbols (and are always precise enough to rule out major ambiguity).
- Most if not all terms are defined adequately or assumed to be known by the reader (radius, degree)
- Paragraphs are broken down into paragraphs and some paragraphs are separated through images.
- Mathematical Section is covered into subsections: Exploring 180 degree rotation, Spiral Area, Spiral Length, Spiral Properties.
- Derivations are hidden.
- No awkward chunks of white space.